Welcome HOBY Parents!
HOBY is a premier youth leadership development program. If your school has nominated your son or daughter to attend the leadership seminar in your state, congratulations! The fact that your child was invited to HOBY implies that they possess the leadership potential and academic preparedness consistently found in the most promising high school sophomores in the country. During the seminar, your child will have the opportunity to interact with other sophomores from around your state and region and to discuss a number of pressing issues with our panelists and keynote speakers.
As the nation’s foremost youth leadership development organization, with more than 335,000 alumni, Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership welcomes you. You are invited to learn more about HOBY by exploring the pages that describe HOBY and its various programs.
Please visit the HOBY International website at www.hoby.org.
2019 pre-seminar faqS
1. I accidentally deleted the email with the Pre-Seminar Forms info! Where can I find it?
Pre-Seminar Forms information (and links) are included here: Pre-Seminar Forms
2. I completed the forms, but I’m not sure if they went through. How can I verify?
Email our Director of Recruitment, who can verify whether we have the form information or not.
3. I think that I made a mistake in the forms. How can I fix it?
Contact our Director of Recruitment with the correct information and she can manually update the information.
4. I’m ready to mail in my Notarized Risk Form. Do I need to send it via priority mail or signature confirmation?
NO. Standard, first class mail is sufficient. (i.e. a “forever” stamp). You should not need to spend any more than $0.50 to mail in the forms.
5. Can I drop off the Notarized Risk Form in person?
No. The address listed in the form is a volunteer’s residential address.
6. When are the forms due?
ALL pre-seminar forms (electronic forms, mailed in Risk form, Volunteer Waiver, Medication form) are due May 10, 2019.
1. Where can I find more specific information on the HOBY seminar?
2. Will I hear from HOBY before the seminar?
Each ambassador will receive a phone call from their adult team facilitator by the end of May. Your team facilitator can help answer specific questions about the weekend.
3. When do I need to be at HOBY?
Check-in at the seminar is the morning of Friday, June 15. Check-out is after the closing awards ceremony (around lunchtime) on Sunday, June 9. Specific times and directions for where to drop off students will be included in the last minute packet.
4. Is there a parents program that I/my parents can attend?
There will a parents program and awards ceremony on Sunday, June 9. Details on location and timing will be in the last minute packet.
5. I/my student have another obligation during the weekend. Can they leave and come back?
No. Because we pack so many activities into the weekend, it is required that your student attends the entire HOBY event.
6. I really want my student to attend HOBY, but he/she wasn’t selected by the school. Can I send them anyway?
Yes. You can apply for the HOBY Community Nomination Program through the HOBY International website. You will be responsible for paying the $395 registration fee if your student is accepted.
7. Who can I contact if I have other questions?
Please contact Texas Gulf Coast chapter Leadership Seminar Chair, Dave Rubin, at LSC@hobytgc.org.
Additional FAQs (included in the Pre-Seminar Forms) can be found here.